Radon is a naturally occurring gas that results from the breakdown of uranium. It is present in most rock, soil and water. It enters the home through the cracks or other holes in the foundation or through the well. The air pressure outside of the home is significantly higher than within, thus a vacuum-like effect draws the radon gas into the home. It is a class A carcinogen, meaning it is known to cause cancer in humans. The EPA and surgeon general have stated that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer, and the first cause for non-smokers.
Radon is odorless, colorless, and tasteless; therefore, every home should be tested to determine what your levels are. The inspection period is your opportunity to gather as much information on your potential home, so you can make an educated decision regarding your purchase. These results can be especially important for those purchasing home with finished lower levels, have children, or will be spending time in the basement . Fortunately, if the radon levels are elevated, 4.0 pci/L or greater, it is a treatable condition. For levels that fall at or above 4.0 pCi/L, the installation of a radon mitigation system by a qualifies professional is recommended. Companies that offer remediation and mitigation services must also employ an individual who is nationally certified in radon mitigation by NRPP or NRSB
If you need an inspection or radon test or have any questions or concerns regarding your radon report, test results, or what action (if any) you should take, feel free to contact us at 800-345-2776. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.